With a tenant population of 7,000 and another 67,000 visitors passing through Commerce Court daily, the Security & Life Safety Group is a critically important component of the GWLRA management team. The safety and security of our tenants, the physical complex and all who pass through each day, is the central focus of this highly trained and dedicated group.
By working in partnership with our office and retail tenants and key city emergency services such as Police, Fire, and EMS, the Security and Life Safety Team is able to meet its considerable responsibilities and exceed its manadates.
SECURITY OPERATIONS GROUP
Comprised of four platoons working 12-hour shifts, this group responds to all calls for service and emergencies in addition to performing general patrol and enforcement duties.
FIRE AND LIFE SAFETY GROUP
Responsible for our Fire & Life Safety programs, this group’s mandate includes everything related to our fire prevention strategies, floor warden programs and building evacuation plans. The group also works closely with our Construction Services team to ensure all work done at Commerce Court is carried out in a safe manner and is compliant with fire code regulations.
Security Technology Group
The eyes and ears behind our state-of-the-art electronic security infrastructure, this group is also responsible for managing our complex’s Security Command post, emergency phone lines and dispatch centre.
Commerce Court Security & Life Safety Services offers the following safety tips.
- Immediately report any suspicious activity to Security.
- If you are working late, please feel free to call Security for an escort to your vehicle in our parking garage.
- Don’t leave valuables unattended in your office; lock them in a secure area.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. Pay for purchases with a cheque, credit card, or debit card when possible, and always protect your PIN number.
- Consolidate your packages to avoid making several trips to your vehicle.
- Watch for “piggy backing”. This is when an unauthorized person follows an authorized person into a restricted or locked space, such as an office. If you observe someone who has “piggy-backed” into your space or see someone you do not recognize, ask them if you can assist them, direct them to the receptionist for visitor processing, or if in doubt, call security.
- To discourage pick-pockets and purse-snatchers, wear your purse across your body and keep your wallet in an inside jacket pocket, not a back trouser pocket.
- When parking, be aware of your surroundings, lock all valuables in your vehicle’s trunk and keep your vehicle doors locked and windows closed. If parking off site at night, park in a well lit area.
- If you have seasonal or other decorations in your work area, please be sure that you do not overload any electrical circuits.
- Emergency Procedures
- Fire & Life Safety Checklist
- Office Safety Tips
- PAL Facts & Registration
- PAL FAQs
- Floor Warden Team
Security & Life Safety Contacts: